Have any of you noticed that some fast food joints and restaurants have stopped giving out endless amounts of plastic straws?
In 2018, Starbucks put out an announcement that they would be phasing out plastic straws altogether by 2020.
Okay, so if we sit back and think simply and logically, we all know that plastic isn't like the best material ever created, right?
Let's explore a few reasons why people should make the switch to reusable straws.
The Downside Of Plastic Straws
Scientists have estimated that the U.S. alone uses 500 million plastic straws each day. EACH DAY. That's enough straws to circle around the Earth 2.5 times.
Why is this such a big deal? Here are a few simple reasons.
- Plastic straws do not recycle easily--they are not accepted by a large number of curbside recycling programs and a lot of restaurants have a trash bin but not a recycling bin.
- PLASTIC STRAWS DO NOT BIODEGRADE--this is a huge one guys. What this means is that plastic does not naturally break down, so even when it degrades, the plastic will only be broken up into tiny pieces but it will all still remain littered on our Earth. Basically, it never goes away.
- Plastic straws end up in our oceans causing catastrophic harm to countless marine lives and ecosystems--not so fun fact, over 1 million seabirds die each year from ingesting plastic
The nitty-gritty is this, folks, plastic is awful. Stop using plastic! Switch to our Wave Soda bamboo straws and feel good about eliminating plastic waste and saving our precious planet.
The Upside Of Reusable Straws
Besides the very obvious upside which we have sort of covered now (they help eliminate the use of plastic straws), here are a few reasons why you should purchase our reusable bamboo straws:
- Bamboo straws are organically made and biodegradable--after the life of your straw has come to an end, you are able to compost it so there is no waste!
- The process of making bamboo straws is entirely chemical-free
- Bamboo has bacteria-fighting properties allowing it to effectively repel mold
- Compared to a metal straw, the process of manufacturing a bamboo straw uses significantly less energy, releases less carbon dioxide, and costs less
I feel like I don't need to say anymore. All of the facts are right there for you to see.
Buying a bamboo straw from Wave Soda means taking a step towards saving our incredible planet and innocent wildlife.
Join our team in the fight against plastic and purchase a Wave Soda reusable bamboo straw today.