Wave Soda Uncovers The Truth About Caffeine
I thought it might be fun today to look deeper into some of the components that make up Wave Soda, specifically, caffeine.
What makes this healthy soda different than the rest? Besides taste, nutrition facts, and ingredients, the caffeine!
A Quick Comparison Of Caffeination
I will list some of the health facts about caffeine in just a moment, but for the sake of this blog, I felt it would help to compare some well-known sodas and caffeinated drinks to our politely caffeinated Wave Soda.
- A shot of espresso (1oz): 47-75 mg
- Brewed coffee (8oz): 95-200 mg
- Pepsi Zero Sugar (12oz): 69 mg
- Surge (12oz): 69 mg
A Wave Soda contains 42 mg of caffeine per can. As you can see from the list above, we have significantly less caffeine than coffee and about 1/3 less than your average soda.
This allows us to offer a gentle buzz but not go overboard.
What's The Deal With Caffeine Anyway?
When I was in college I played soccer for my school and when we would go on away trips to play we would always eat out as a team. Our coach NEVER let us order coffee or soda the night before a game because she was worried it would screw up our sleep and we would be tired and groggy the next day. Well Denise, just call me the MythBusters because I am about to uncover the truth about caffeine.
After doing some research, here are some of the main facts I have found regarding caffeine:
- Caffeine is a stimulant, which means it can increase heart rate and blood pressure
- Healthy adults should not consume more than 400 mg of caffeine a day (that's a 7-flavor variety pack and then some!)
- If you develop headaches when you aren't consuming caffeine, experts suggest you limit your caffeine intake for health reasons (it's a very good thing that Wave Soda is politely caffeinated then)
- Some studies suggest that increased levels of caffeine can lead to heart problems and mental health changes
From all of this and other snippets of research what I am discovering is that caffeine is a-okay when consumed in moderation (like most other things in life).
If you notice that you can feel strong side-effects after one cup of coffee then maybe it's about time you switch to Wave Soda to cut your caffeine intake and start treating your body right.