A cupcake is a cupcake, which means it's still not better for you than a carrot,
but this vanilla cupcake recipe contains less sugar than your average cupcake!
Sort of like our all-natural Wave Soda!
It contains less sugar than standard sodas, but is still delicious as ever!
There's no time for dilly-dallying on National Vanilla Cupcake Day so let's just get to it!
Here are the ingredients you are going to need for this healthy cupcake recipe:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
If you want to make a raspberry frosting to go on top, here is what you will need for that:
- 1/2 cup of raspberries
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp honey
Honey is a great substitute for regular sugar and if you know about our healthy fruit soda, you know we love a good substitute!
Shake and Bake
A few quick tips before you start on this vanilla cupcake recipe.
- When you mix the dry ingredients in, do it gently, using a spatula, until just combined
- Do your best to not overbake the cupcakes! To be safe, set your timer for the low end of the baking range and check the cupcake centers to see if the inside is fully done
Now that we have that done, here's how to make them:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. Mix together the butter and the sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, (about 30 seconds)
3. Add in the milk, vanilla, and eggs and beat to combine.
4. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. Stir with a spatula gently just to combine.
5. Spoon into cupcake liners, filling each cup about halfway.
6. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until just golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
8. Frost as desired.
If you went with the homemade frosting, this is how to make it:
1. Mash 1/2 cup raspberries in a small bowl with a fork. Spoon into a fine mesh colander and press through the wire to release the juices into a small bowl. Discard the seeds.
2. Beat 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened at room temperature), and 2 tablespoons honey until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in raspberry puree.
4. Spread onto cupcakes. Garnish with a raspberry on each if desired.
Don't these sound amazing!!
From everyone at Wave Soda, have a Happy National Vanilla Cupcake Day!