Scroll down to discover how to make this elegant, vegan butternut squash recipe, brought to you by Wave Soda!
This scrumptious butternut squash recipe is served with a chestnut and
cranberry granola crust, talk about YUM!
Most importantly, you will need 1/2 of a large butternut squash that has been washed, and cut lengthwise and then deseeded.
For the Stuffing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup kale, washed and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
For the Granola Crust
2 tbsp pecans
- 2 tbsp chestnuts
- 2 tsbp dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
On to Cooking
If you're anything like me, the ingredients for this butternut squash recipe seem a tad overwhelming but thankfully, the method isn't too hard and the end result is going to be well worth it!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with
parchment paper and place the squash cut side down on the tray. Bake for 35 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking gather your ingredients for the stuffing. Start by heating some oil over medium high heat in a frying pan. Toss in shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. Once the shallot starts to soften, add in the kale and cook until wilted. Next, add in the yeast, quinoa and mustard -- stir well and set aside until needed.
- Remove squash from oven and let cool until it is not hot to the touch. Using a sharp knife, begin cutting slits in the squash width-ways and going the full length. Do not cut all the way through the squash, you just want to slits that are big enough to fill.
- Using a teaspoon or knife, begin filling each slit with the stuffing you made. Ideally, you will use up all of the stuffing. After you have finished, return the stuff squashed to the oven to roast for another 10 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking you will prepare the granola. Roughly chop the cranberries, pecans and chestnuts. Once the squash has finished roasting, pull it out and gently brush on the oil with a pastry brush. Sprinkle the granola on top and return to the oven once again to roast for another 12-15 minutes
- The squash is finished when it is soft to the touch and the granola is crisp
I can't wait to try this squash out the next time my family comes over.
We love this butternut squash recipe because like Wave Soda, is it healthy and flavorful!
We suggest you pair this vegan recipe with our Blueberry Wave Soda for a light and refreshing experience!