I think this is something we have all heard a time or two over the years.
I mean, they came out with those stand up, treadmill style desks to help combat the issue!
As I said, not new information, but today at Wave Soda we wanted to uncover some of the reasons why sitting down for too long is bad and offer some ways to manage this.
Sitting for too long can cause ones' body to begin shutting down metabolically.
- sitting for a full day can lower the amount of fat burning enzymes by up to 50%
- blood flows slower when you are sitting, which can cause fatty acids to build up in your heart vessels
- poor sitting posture (which a lot of us have, unfortunately) can weaken your abdominals muscles, causing excessive strain on your lower back
- extended sitting leads to blood pooling in your lower extremities and compromising their blood flow by up to 50% in just half an hour
This will re-stimulate your blood flow and let's be honest, a Wave Soda will do wonders for your mood.
Prolonged sitting not only affects your metabolic system, but also your brain.
- reduced blood low and oxygen from sitting, causes your brain to function at suboptimal levels
- studies show that in middle-aged women, regularly sitting for longer than four hours at a time can increase risk of depression
- another study suggests that sitting down for too long on a regular basis can become a cancer risk factor
Our team at Wave Soda knows how hard it can be to step away from a project when you are deep at work, but we also discovered how helpful it can be to take a short brain break when our minds start to fizzle out.
Taking even five minutes to rest your brain and move your body will help increase your productivity and help fight against the above risks.
Longevity is another way of saying "long life".
There are a number of activities that increase longevity, but unfortunately, prolonged sitting does not make that list.
- one study found that placing fat cells under increased stress (for example: the load placed on your glutes when sitting) can accelerate the rate at which fat cells produce fat, by up to 50%
- multiple studies have concluded there is a strong relationship between long periods of sitting and metabolic dysfunction and disease
Although there are no direct correlations that have yet been discovered, it is clear from all the information listed above in the other bullet points that prolonged sitting has many health disadvantages.
If you work at a job where you are sitting for long periods of time, like in an office or driving trucks/vehicles, being able to get up and move around can be incredibly difficult.
Especially now, when most people are working from home, we understand that movement isn't the easiest to come by.
At Wave Soda, we have some helpful tips to keep you thinking about your health
and working towards decreased sitting times.
- Set a reminder or alarm on your phone for every 30-60 minutes; each time the alarm goes off, get up and make a few short laps around your desk, your chair, your office, even your vehicle!
- Drink lots of Wave Soda! Not only will your taste buds thank you, but increasing your fluid intake will increase your need to use the bathroom. This will give you a chance to get up and walk around and take a break from sitting.
- Listen to music! If you're a music lover like all of us at Wave, hearing your favorite songs will cause your body to move and sway, which will help increase blood flow in your body. (If you need some suggestions, check out our blog on our favorite Wave Soda tunes!)